Sunday, June 16, 2024

Baker Creek Loop

Day 2 in Great Basin had very different weather than my first day  -- warm temperatures and clear skies.  I decided to hike the Baker Creek Loop, which offered options to extend the hike if I was feeling up to it.

Baker Creek Loop Trailhead, Great Basin National Park
Great views to the east right after leaving the trailhead, all the way to the Wasatch Range.

Baker Creek Loop, Great Basin National Park
And the continued presence of Wheeler Peak, which I would once again not be submitting.

Desert Paintbrush, Great Basin National Park
Wildflowers were abundant and blooming, including this Desert Paintbrush.

Common Checkered-Skipper, Great Basin National Park
And where you have blooming wildflowers you have butterflies, like this Common Checkered-Skipper.

Anise Swallowtail, Great Basin National Park
I always enjoy seeing swallowtails like this Anise.  Lots of butterflies seemed attracted to these paler Aspen Bluebells...

Aspen Bluebells, Great Basin National Park
But not the "bluer" ones, for some reason.

Baker Creek, Great Basin National Park
The creek was running vigorously with spring runoff.

Baker Creek, Great Basin National Park
I decided to pass on extending the hike, so the loop alone was 3.8 miles which I covered in about 2 hours, 17 minutes.  The perfect conditions made the time fly right by.

Sunset over the Snake Range, Nevada
I popped back into town for a quick coffee and snack at the Bristlecone General Store, then took the Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive back to the summit parking lot and read the afternoon away.  It was as refreshingly relaxing as it sounds.  Heading back to my cabin I stopped to capture the later afternoon sun over the Snake Range, and decided I had had a pretty awesome day. :)

Related Link: Alpine Lakes Loop

No comments: