Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Kineo Mountain via Seven Bridges Trail

I've got aspirations of trying to do another 14er this summer -- Pikes Peak.  That's a 14-mile roundtrip hike with roughly 4,300 feet of elevation gain.  Building up to that seems like a good idea, so I decided to return to North Cheyenne Cañon Park and summit Kineo Mountain via the Seven Bridges Trail.

Helen Hunt Falls, North Cheyenne Cañon
An early start meant nobody else was at Helen Hunt Falls when I drove by at 7:30, so a stop for photos was in order.

Helen Hunt Falls, North Cheyenne Cañon
Both portrait and landscape options were required, as usual.  And I honestly can't decide which I prefer!

North Cheyenne Creek
North Cheyenne Creek had some beautiful dappled light and very few other hikers.

North Cheyenne Creek
There's a great spot at the base of this cascade about 10 yards off the trail, with steps provided to help you clamber down.  You have to keep your eyes peeled for it, though.

Kineo Mountain
Conditions had clouded over a bit when I reached the summit, but the view to the east still impresses.

Kineo Mountain
The sun peeked through for a moment when I turned my attention to the west, and nicely brightened up the vista.

Aspen Grove, North Cheyenne Cañon
I love this aspen grove that you pass through about 2.5 miles in, and again had a moment where the sun provided some areas of contrast.

North Cheyenne Creek
I stopped at the same cascades that I'd shot earlier to capture it in full sun.  I think I prefer the shaded version from earlier in the day, but this is hardly ugly.

I completed the 6.68 miles and 1,969 feet of elevation gain in 3 hours, 30 minutes, minus a rest and photo stop at the summit.  Can I do slightly more than double the distance and elevation gain at a higher altitude?  Right now, I'm feeling optimistic that I can!

No comments: