Saturday, October 30, 2021

Mount Evans, July 2021: Some of the Mountain Goats

I go to Mount Evans when I visit Colorado in the summer for one main reason -- to see Mountain Goats.  They remind me of how amazing nature is, and how much wildness is still left in the world.

In that regard, this summer's trip did not disappoint.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
I saw babies, all innocence and wonder.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
Trying, like apparently all children, to grow up too fast.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
I saw adolescents, on the verge of adulthood, holding themselves with a proud bearing.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
I'm always amazed how regal an herbivore can look.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
Did I mention cute babies?  Such cute babies. :)

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
It's curious to me how tentative this one looks, when I know how incredibly sure-footed they are.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
This small group was just out of sight from the summit road, but after years of visits I knew where to look.  So I just sat and was content to simply be with them for a while.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
And it seems they were quite content with me, too. :)

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
Whoops -- did I make a sudden movement?

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
Nope.  Never mind.  He just needed to have a little scratch.

Mount Evans, Mountain Goat
I always love seeing the goats in this raggedy state where they're still clinging to some of their winter coats.  They remind me of a band of wandering beggars, rich in experience if not worldly possessions.

When you sit with Mountain Goats on a beautiful summer day, without a care in the world or anywhere else to be, you certainly should have more than 11 pictures worth sharing.  So, more to come!

Related Links:

No comments: