Friday, October 23, 2020

Shenandoah National Park: Stony Man Overlook

After an absolutely gorgeous sunset at Big Meadows, I went for one more the next evening by taking a short hike to the Stony Man Overlook. The point has a fantastic view to the west, with the Shenandoah Valley, the town of Luray, and the Massanutten and Allegheny Mountains all visible.

Stony Man Overlook
According to Wikipedia, the mountain is made up of metamorphic rock known as Greenschist.

Stony Man Overlook
I arrived well before sunset on a gorgeous afternoon, with what I believed were just enough clouds to yield some nice color but not so many as to potentially obscure the actual sunset.  Surely not.  But, just to be safe, I shot an HDR panoramic while the sub was still quite high in the sky.

Stony Man Overlook
Anyway, about those clouds.  Yeah, they ended up obscuring the sunset.  Oh, well.  That's nature!

Stony Man Overlook
Making some lemonade, the haze did produce a nice effect on the ridges to the south.

My walk ended up covering 1.54 miles, the last stretch in the dark.  Coupled with my earlier trek to the summit of Old Rag Mountain, that meant I covered nearly 11 miles that day.

I slept quite well that night. 

No comments: