Monday, October 12, 2020

Shenandoah National Park: Old Rag Mountain

The longest hike I planned on my summer trip was a climb to the summit of Old Rag Mountain.

Old Rag Mountain
An early rise was in order, which also gave me the opportunity to see the peak at sunrise.

Old Rag Mountain
I learned from my Ramsey Cascades hike that I absolutely needed to travel lighter and less encumbered.  So I didn't bring my camera with the zoom lens at all, and while I carried my other camera with the wide angle lens on its tripod for most of the hike the foliage was so dense that I didn't take any memorable shots.  When I hit the boulder field I needed my hands available, so I packed the camera and tripod away and didn't get them back out until I reached the summit.

Old Rag Mountain
Despite some gathering clouds, the view from the summit was wonderful.  Just the thing I expect from a summit hike.

Old Rag Mountain Trail
The trail is a loop rather than an out-and-back, so I got to see different scenery on my return.  The Weakley Hollow Fire Road was especially beautiful, flanked by lush, tall trees.

The hike was just over nine miles with 2,287 feet of elevation gain and it took me just under five hours, burning 984 calories in the process.  Reminded me of my many wonderful summit hikes in Colorado! 

No comments: