Saturday, May 1, 2021

Hagerman NWR: April 2021, Part II

My day at Hagerman was off to a great start.  Next up was a slow drive out to Pads O, P. and Q.  I say slow intentionally, because from past experience I know the water comes up quite close to the roads and the shores can be full of birds.  Driving too fast tends to spook them. 

Greater Yellowlegs, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
This Greater Yellowlegs looked a little sad to me as it foraged.  So I left a lot of empty space in the photo to play into that mood.

Wilson's Phalarope, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
These Wilson's Phalaropes were in the same area as the Yellowlegs, but much more energetic.

Snowy Egrets, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
There were quite a few Snowy Egrets.  I loved the tandem pose I got from these two.

American White Pelicans, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
I got out of my car to approach this group of American White Pelicans, and thought I was being quite stealthy about it.  But they noticed me immediately and in unison began swimming away.  It was fun to watch them glide off, since I couldn't actually see their feet moving under the water.  At least they moved at enough of an angle that I was able to see their profiles.

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
I honestly don't think I'd ever seen a Yellow-headed Blackbird before this day.  It was a real treat to get such a close view of my first one!

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
And then I got an even closer view of my second.  And honestly, before I knew it I'd probably seen a hundred of them.  They were flocking quite densely along the pad roads, and quite comfortable with my car blind.

Red-winged Blackbird, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
Not to be outdone, this Red-winged Blackbird belted out his call while doing an impressive split.  Bonus points for difficulty!

Tree Swallow, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
I stopped my car to try and get a picture of a hawk that unfortunately flew off before I got anything decent.  But stopping allowed me to notice a Tree Swallow spending a lot of time around a particular tree.

Tree Swallow, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge Tree Swallow, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
It turned out to not just be one swallow hanging out by the tree, but a pair who seemed to be building a nest!  I always love how time spent in nature can lead to the unexpected. :)

Related Links:

No comments: