Sunday, July 22, 2018

Brainard and Isabelle Lakes, July 2018

Mountain goats are always atop the list of wildlife I hope to photograph when visiting Colorado in the summer. Closely behind come moose, another animal I don't see in Texas. My go-to place and time for bull moose in the past has been Brainard Lake at sunrise. So stifling a groan I set another 4 a.m. alarm, won the argument with my objecting brain when it went off, and drove up to see what I could see.

Brainard Lake Sunrise
No moose were visible in the willows when I arrived, so I stole a moment to shoot the soft sunrise colors over Brainard Lake.

Brainard Lake Sunrise
I love how these rocks cast such long shadows when the sun is so low in the sky.

Mule Deer Buck, Brainard Lake Recreation Area
Moose, alas, eluded me.  A grazing mule deer buck was my consolation, for which I was not ungrateful.

Lake Isabelle Trail, Indian Peaks Wilderness
No trip to Brainard Lake is complete without making the hike to Lake Isabelle.  It may be my very Front Range hike -- four miles roundtrip is a distance that gives you a workout without completely wearing you out, it's got just enough elevation gain to get the heart pumping, the mix of cascades and wildflowers along the trail are a visual treat, and the payoff at the end with the lake and peaks never disappoints.  And at this early hour I was even able to get a parking spot at the trailhead instead of having to walk the extra mile from Brainard Lake.

Lake Isabelle Trail, Indian Peaks Wilderness
Did I mention the cascades?  I continue to be an unapologetic sucker for scenes with running water.

Lake Isabelle Trail, Indian Peaks Wilderness
This view would be nowhere near as interesting without the wispy clouds in the sky.

Lake Isabelle, Indian Peaks Wilderness
Lake Isabelle itself provides a perfect opportunity for a panoramic.  So I took one.

Lake Isabelle, Indian Peaks Wilderness
The sun hadn't risen high enough to wash out the scene, so I just kept finding other spots along the south shore with interesting compositions and continued shooting.

Lake Isabelle, Indian Peaks Wilderness
I thought these gnarled trunks would be more compelling than they turned out to be.  Hey, not every swing is a home run.

Lake Isabelle, Indian Peaks Wilderness
Moving water in the foreground, snow-kissed peaks in the background?  That's a winning combo.

Lake Isabelle Trail, Indian Peaks Wilderness
This picturesque runoff is like the gatekeeper for the lake.  The shadows from nearby trees were actually a little too distracting when I arrived, but had receded by the time I left to no longer compete with the view of the water.

Lake Isabelle Trail, Indian Peaks Wilderness
I took the previous shot from atop this wooden bridge, then backed up to include the plank in this shot.  That simple shift of just a few feet results in an image that tells a completely different story.  Photography is like writing in that way -- being intentional about what you include and exclude is how you exert control over the narrative.  When trying to figure out which of my images I prefer, the decision typically comes down to which better reflects the story I'm trying to tell.

The moral of this story: Who needs moose? :)

Related Links:

No comments: