Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Brainard Lake, July 2015

A big desire of mine on our current trip to Colorado is to see things I can't see in Texas. That includes wildlife like moose. Thanks to the good people of the Front Range Wildlife Photographers Facebook group, I was informed that bulls were back where I had seen them last summer -- Brainard Lake.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
The word wasn't simply that the bulls were back at Brainard, but that you also had to get there early to see them.  Like, sunrise early.  So I got up at 4 a.m. last Wednesday to make the drive, and sure enough there were three munching away in the willows.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
Low clouds were making the light tricky.  But I was still able to get some quick shots of the biggest bull.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
The trio were moving steadily south along the road.  I kept moving with them, hoping for the sun to break through, stopping at breaks in the trees to get shots when they presented themselves like this one of the youngest bull.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
Another shift south; the big bull comes back out briefly.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
The sun breaks the clouds, the moose make for the trees.  But I wasn't satisfied with what I'd gotten so far.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
I head farther down the road, slog through the willows and stop at a meadow where I think two of them will emerge.  A few minutes later, I'm rewarded with an appearance from the youngest.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
I love other people's high-contrast shots, but haven't taken any of my own that I love.  I feel pretty good about this one, with the light on his eye and face.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
Then the big boy came out, and he stood regally in the meadow, and everything came together.  The early hour, my soaking feet, all worth it for this moment.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
He leaned over for one more nibble of the willows, then he headed off at a brisker pace than before.  This time, I let them go.  I had what I came for.

Brainard Lake
After an hour of following the moose, I was happy to apply my skills to some stationary subjects -- the Indian Peaks reflecting off the lake's surface.

All this before 7 a.m.  I wish I had more entire days that were as productive and enjoyable as this one had started out.

No comments: