Saturday, August 2, 2014

Brainard Lake, July 2014: Part II

Click here for Part I.

I spent about an hour watching the three bull moose grazing in the willows just south of Brainard Lake.  Unlike the mountain goats on Mount Evans last week, there's really not a lot of variety to the shots.  There wasn't the range of ages and activities with this group.  They just ambled along, munching away.  So as a result, I don't really have much to write about most of them.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
The two closest to the road did snap to attention at the sound of a bullhorn somewhere in the distance, presumably a ranger admonishing some park visitors.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
They stood almost completely still for at least a minute, providing great opportunities for profile shots.  Then resumed grazing.  I took that as my cue to go, figuring I was unlikely to see anything else different.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
Lo and behold, after returning to my car and starting to drive out of the park I stumbled upon another pair about a quarter mile away.  One of them seemed determined to win "Most Content," just lying down in the grass.

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake

Bull Moose, Brainard Lake
You can get a little better context on this fellow from this view.  Exactly what I'd hoped to see, and completely made the 90-minute drive worth it!

No comments: