Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mount Evans: July 2014, Part II

Click here for Part I.

No more marmots.  No more vistas.  The rest of my time at Mount Evans on Friday was about mountain goats, and nothing but mountain goats! 

Mount Evans Mountain Goats
Watching one kid lie down was cute.  Watching another come join it was adorable.  Having a third get in on the midday relaxation was special.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
Eventually I just started trying to capture silly facial expressions like a tongue sticking out ...

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
... or a yawn that looks like an old man yelling at you to get off his lawn.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
Shots of babies really need no justification or explanation.

Mount Evans Mountain Goats
This encounter reminded me of the scene in Finding Nemo when the young fish were all entranced by the boat.  Or the "butt," as I believe they called it.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
The kids often looked curious about me and the other people stopping to look and take pictures.  But never concerned, apparently taking their cue from the adults.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
King of the Mountain!

Mount Evans Mountain Goats
Two kids are cuter than one.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
I don't typically like straight-on shots of hoofed stock like elk, horses and goats.  The eye placement is a little creepy to me.  But I really like this one -- something about the horns, the tattered winter coat, the yellow flowers with the splash of blue, not a care in the world except filling his belly.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
More of that kid curiosity.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
I liked the movement of this guy across the rocks and the blue sky behind him for contrast.

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
Then he stopped and gave me the Black Widow pose.  Sassy!

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
More apparent evidence that the winter coat is uncomfortable.  Get it OFF!

Mount Evans Mountain Goat
Emo goat finds nothing but despair in grazing.

All in all, I was on the mountain for about five hours.  A good portion of that time was spent crawling around the rocks watching and taking pictures of these animals who for the most part couldn't have cared less about my presence.  It still amazes me how much fantastic nature we have right at our doorstep!

2 comments:

Orontes said...

Great pictures. Clearly you had a photographer's dream day.

SteveHarbula said...

It was definitely everything I'd hoped it would be. The goats put on quite a show!