Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Mount Evans, July 2018: Part I

A guaranteed stop when I visit Colorado every summer is Mount Evans to see a sunrise and hopefully some mountain goats. Conditions this year were once again favorable for both, so with a little mind-over-mattress when my alarm rang at 4 a.m. I managed to get up and head out.

Mount Evans Sunrise
The sunrise arrived as I was on my way up to the summit.  Fortunately, I was in a good spot to pull over and shoot it.  Being above some clouds off to the east provided a nice effect, but I've got to figure out how to get rid of all that lens flare.  I've cleaned my lenses and filter repeatedly so I don't think they're the problem.  That leaves something inside the camera body, possibly on the mirror, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Mount Evans
I drove right through some fast-moving clouds coming up and over a saddle on the way to the summit, and probably should have stopped while I was right in them to shoot stills or video.  Instead I waited until I got a little above them, and the effect's not quite as dramatic.

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Mount Evans
I didn't see any of the charismatic megafauna I'd come for until I was practically to the summit.  And the first I happened upon were some native Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.  Apparently they have babies this time of year, too, but you wouldn't know it from all the attention that the introduced Mountain Goats get!

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Mount Evans
There were more than just babies.  It was an entire family picture!

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Mount Evans
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ram

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
The Mountain Goats were all the way up at the summit parking lot, along with 30-degree temperatures and high winds.  The breeze and low light gave this lone fellow a wild, dramatic look.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
We' re all suckers for pictures of animals with their tongues sticking out.  And Mountain Goats seem to provide more such moments than most species.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
This goat strolled by me extremely closely.  I wanted to get an even larger shot of the eye, but even at full zoom and as close as the animal was this is as tight as I can crop in without introducing too much grain.  Still, an interesting perspective.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
This is the senior portrait shot.  Warm light, nice contrasting background, and the goat staying perfectly still.  The winds must have even died down for a moment because there's very little blur in the fur.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
Then there's this moment, with the wind howling so fiercely that some of the remaining scraps of winter coat are being blown straight out.  You can even spot some loose hairs that have come untethered and are being carried off on the breeze.

Related Links:

2 comments:

Cedric said...

Beautiful photographs - especially the mountain goat on the rock!

Most lenses will give you flare if you point them directly at the sun. More so with zoom lenses. You could edit them out, but personally, I don't think they detract anything from your photograph.

SteveHarbula said...

Thanks for the feedback, Cedric! I've taken shots of the sun in the past where I've gotten the starburst without the lens flare. It's definitely a personal choice as to which you prefer. It just frustrates me that I can't seem to get the lens flare out to try it both ways and compare! My landscape lens is an 18-105 zoom, so that could be part of the problem as you point out.