Sunday, July 15, 2018

Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge, June 2018

I've been to Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge three times, and every time I've seen great wildlife and come away with some really satisfying images. This last time I had some consistently overcast and/or rainy conditions and an issue with my lens that kept it from having a depth of field any greater than f5.6 without great difficulty, and still managed to get some solid pictures.  That's when you know you're in a special location.

American Lotus, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
Rain does result in water droplets, which add a little extra detail to this American Lotus.

Glossy Ibis, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
I didn't often get good looks at the Glossy Ibis, but this one stepped into full view for me.

Juvenile Little Blue Heron, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
I wasn't sure what exactly this bird was when I saw it.  It took some online research to reveal that it's a Little Blue Heron transitioning from the white first-year stage to blue adult plumage, also referred to as a"calico."

Purple Gallinule, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
When the sun did come out I was further rewarded with a foraging Purple Gallinule and that was quite comfortable coming very close to me.  I was able to get a great view of not just the colorful head but also the iridescent body plumage.

Purple Gallinule, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
I thought it was very sweet to offer me a flower. :)

Mourning Dove, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
Mourning Dove on a fencepost.  Hard to pass up such a simple, classic pose.

Saltmarsh Morning-Glory, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
Raindrops on a Saltmarsh Morning-Glory.  Given that some photographers use spray bottles to achieve this sort of effect, I was grateful to see it naturally.

Common Gallinule, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
The Common Gallinules with young tended to be shy, but this loner was as intent on eating as its purple cousin earlier.

Four-spotted Pennant, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
Another classic pose, this time from a Four-spotted Pennant.

Little Blue Heron, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
I made two laps of the auto tour loop, and towards the very end of my second circuit I came across a Little Blue Heron that had just found some lunch.

Little Blue Heron, Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
Bad news for the frog was good news for the bird and for me.  The more I shoot, the more I see the same wildlife over and over.  What makes an encounter stand out these days is catching some special behavior like feeding.  It also makes for a more unique image.  So my apologies, Mister Frog.  Your sacrifice has at least been forever immortalized by my lens!

No comments: