Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Texas City Dike: Miscellaneous

While I saw enough pelicans and terns at the Texas City Dike for both of those birds to merit their own blog posts, they certainly weren't the only birds I saw. Here's a look at the "best of the rest." :)

Laughing Gull, Texas City Dike
Not surprisingly, there were lots of Laughing Gulls.  This one struck a classic pose.

Ruddy Turnstone, Texas City Dike
A Ruddy Turnstone scurried right along the edge of the incoming tide looking for food.

Laughing Gulls, Texas City Dike
A family was feeding a flock of Laughing Gulls, many of whom hovered in the air hoping to catch a scrap.  That gave me some nice opportunities for "flight" shots when the subjects weren't actually moving that much.  Working smarter, not harder.

I went with black and white because those were the primary colors on the birds themselves, and I didn't think the hints of red on their beaks and legs or the blue of the sky really added that much.  With the color gone, my eye is drawn more the texture and translucency of their wings.

Neotropic Cormorant, Texas City Dike
This Neotropic Cormorant seemed quite content to just sit on its rock while the surf lapped against it.  Frankly, without the action of the water I don't think this is an especially compelling shot.

Ruddy Turnstone, Texas City Dike
This particular turnstone actually found something to eat.  Mmmmmm ... crab!

Snowy Egret, Texas City Dike
This Snowy Egret was doing some halfhearted hunting.  I wonder if the afternoon heat was slowing everyone down.

Great-tailed Grackle, Texas City Dike
Grackles don't typically catch my attention, especially the rather drab ladies.  But the way this gal strutted through the trash like it didn't faze her at all was a reminder to me that no matter how much we try to ruin our home, there will be species that find a way to thrive.

The dike is as advertised: a target-rich environment when it comes to bird photos.  I look forward to a return trip in the future!

Related Links:

No comments: