Friday, May 13, 2016

Rollover Pass Avocets: April 2016

Another bird on my hit list for my Gulf Coast trip was the American Avocet. I've been places where I could have seen them -- like Kountze Lake in Colorado. I just never had. Rollover Pass fixed that for me.

American Avocet, Rollover Pass
I pulled my car down close to the tide line, rolled down the window and just waited.  Eventually the birds saw me as just part of the scenery, and this Avocet walked by and gave a little stretch.

American Avocets, Rollover Pass
Further away from the beach was a marshy area where this pair were quietly resting.

American Avocets, Rollover Pass
They were soon joined by a third, but someone still had to keep watch.

American Avocet, Rollover Pass
On the opposite side of the strait a lone bird dashed through the water, beak open and looking for lunch.

American Avocet, Rollover Pass
Their long thin legs and beaks give them an air of delicate elegance that seemed out of place against the murky water and drab concrete breakwater.

Another bird to mark off the life list!

No comments: