Thursday, August 6, 2015

Black Canyon of the Gunnison, June 2015

After a rainy visit to Rocky Mountain National Park, the wet weather followed me and Zak to Crested Butte. After lying fairly low our first day in town, the forecast called for a break in the clouds on our second. So we made plans to visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

Tomichi Point, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
My only previous trip to the park had been nearly five years earlier, in October 2010.  Conditions were much more green and lush this time of year.  And the morning view to the east from Tomichi Point provided evidence of how the place had gotten its name, as sunlight struggled to reach down the steep canyon walls.

Gunnison Route, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
I'd planned to simply drive the South Rim and stop at the various overlooks.  But Zak surprised me by wanting to hike the Gunnison Route down into the canyon.  I eagerly agreed, and down we went.

Gunnison Route, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
The descent was harder than I'd remembered.  I had to pack up one of my cameras to free one of my hands to assist.  But I kept out my D5200 with the wide angle lens so I could occasionally stop to capture views like this one.

Mule Deer Doe, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
We took a lengthy break down along the river, and were joined briefly by a grazing mule deer doe.  If she'd been facing me, I'd be tempted to believe her stuck-out tongue was an expression of her opinion of photographers.

Gunnison Route, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
The hike extended our stay longer than I'd planned.  But the forecast afternoon clouds didn't materialize.

Gunnison Route, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Zak's ability to wear a hoodie in high temperatures and when exerting himself physically without passing out borders on the mystical.  I, on the other hand, sweat like a pig -- especially on the climb back out.  And for all the camera gear I was lugging around, I failed to bring a bandana.

Needing both hands on our ascent, I packed up both my cameras for the return trek.  Carrying an extra 15 pounds of my body and another 10 or so on my body than I had five years earlier did not help me with the hike.  I had to stop frequently to catch my breath on the way up.  But we still made it up and down in the 2 1/2 hours the ranger had told us it would take.  Not counting our 40-minute break at the bottom, of course.

In other news, I'm now on a diet and have dropped seven pounds in the last two weeks.  I'll be better prepared the next time a demanding hike opportunity presents itself!

No comments: