Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Eastern Europe 2026: Bran Castle & Brasov

When Danelle and I were initially planning our Eastern Europe trip, we decided against visiting Transylvania.  It felt "too touristy."  Then we realized that we were, in fact, tourists, and would likely not forgive ourselves if we didn't see the castle that inspired the novel Dracula.  So off to Bran Castle we went!

Medusa Door Knocker, Bran Castle, Romania
The vibes were perfect right from the start, with this bronze door knocker featuring the face of Medusa surrounded by writhing snakes mounted on the entrance door to the castle.

Queen Marie Bedroom, Bran Castle, Romania
When the castle was converted into a summer royal residence in the 1920s, this room was designed for King Ferdinand I of Romania, husband to Queen Marie.

Secret Passage, Bran Castle, Romania
A "secret passage" takes you from the first to the third level of the castle.  I don't think I even realized I'd pushed the shutter on my camera as Danelle walked up the stairs ahead of me.  But the shot I got from it is appropriately creepy.

Bran Castle, Romania
The castle's courtyard was a little too bright and cheery on this sunny spring day to really give Dracula vibes.  I was impressed with how well restored and maintained the structure is, though.

Bran Castle, Romania
From this angle, I can imagine how imposing the approach to the castle would be on a cold, moonlit night.

Bran Castle, Romania
The 19th-century Bran Cross, extensively carved with old Cyrillic script, stands on the hillside meadow directly below the eastern shield wall of the castle. 

Black Church, Brasov, Romania
After being favorably impressed with our time at the castle, we headed to the nearby city of Brasov.  The city is home to the largest Gothic church in the country, known as the Black Church for damage the structure sustained during a 17th-century fire.

Black Church, Brasov, Romania
The church was built by the local Transylvanian Saxon community between 1385 and 1477.  Its pulpit features a carved and painted wooden figure of Saint John.

Black Church, Brasov, Romania
The church's bronze baptismal font dates back to 1472.

Black Church, Brasov, Romania
This stone statue depicts Hermann Balk, a prominent 13th-century Teutonic Knight and the order's first master in Prussia.

Black Church, Brasov, Romania
This relief carving is part of the church's extensive Baroque woodwork.  The scrollwork and central face represent typical woodcarving motifs brought to Transylvania by German-speaking Saxon masters.

Monument to Johannes Honterus, Black Church, Brasov, Romania
A bronze statue of the 16th-century humanist and reformer Johannes Honterus stands outside the church.

Piața Sfatului, Brașov, Romania
We had a delicious lunch a a cafe on the city's historic Council Square (Piața Sfatului).  The Romanian-brewed Zăganu Imperial Russian Stout was especially good.

Brașov, Romania
The Hollywood-style sign overlooking the city doesn't quite mesh with the imposing presence of the Black Church, but we still enjoyed this view of the city.

Despite some initial skepticism, our visit to Bran Castle and Brasov was totally worth the drive!

No comments: