Sunday, January 24, 2021

Palo Duro Canyon State Park: December 2020

I got everything I wanted out of my New Mexico road trip over winter break.  And I got a few hours closer to home than I'd expected after leaving Valles Caldera.  So I decided to make an extra stop on my stretch drive home and visit Palo Duro Canyon State Park for the first time.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Having been to the actual Grand Canyon, I can tell you that Palo Duro deserves its nickname of "The Grand Canyon of Texas."  It is the second biggest canyon in the country, and the vistas from the CCC Overlook are majestic.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
The Goodnight Peak Scenic Loop has its own impressive view of the canyon floor.

Violet Prickly Pear, Palo Duro Canyon State Park
There's not much in the way of beautiful flora in late December in the Texas Panhandle.  The most I found that was photogenic were some Prickly Pear.  Violet...

Purple Prickly Pear, Palo Duro Canyon State Park
...and Purple, which seems like a pretty subtle distinction.

Black-crested Titmouse, Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Wildlife was also scarce, and on a few occasions when I saw a bird or even a deer I wasn't in position for a good shot.  That was not the case with this Black-crested Titmouse, who stayed wonderfully still for me in some very good light.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
The road was closed right after the parking area for the Capitol Peak Trail.  So my final shot of the scenery was this view of Sunday Creek.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
I did appreciate this colorful encouragement to not feed the wildlife.

Roadside Sign, Amarillo, Texas
I think I appreciated this sign south of Amarillo even more.  At least, I appreciated it enough to turn my car around and take a picture of it.  Not enough to follow it and peruse the advertised selection, however.

My first visit to Palo Duro Canyon definitely won't be my last!

No comments: