Monday, October 20, 2014

Bear Creek Lake Park, October 2014

Fall foliage is on its last legs down here in the Denver area. So I'm trying to cram in as much leaf peeping as I can. Today I made a return trip to a favorite autumn destination of mine, Bear Creek Lake Park.

Bear Creek Lake Park
Contrast was a challenge on this bright, sunny day.  I ended up having to do more processing than I normally like on this one to preserve detail in both the creek and the trees and sky in the distance.  But I like the leaf-and-moss-covered shoreline too much to not share it.

Bear Creek Lake Park
Solar flares and silhouettes often bail me out in these sunny fall situations.

Bear Creek Lake Park
I love the blue and gold colors on this section of the creek.  When I used a long shutter speed for the silky effect I normally like in flowing water, the colors weren't very vivid.  So I sped things up, opened up the aperture and jacked up the ISO to freeze the water a bit instead.

Bear Creek Lake Park
I liked seeing another wildflower blooming so late in the season.  Apparently chicory is considered a noxious weed in Colorado.  But it's also edible; so it has that going for it.

Bear Creek Lake Park
I always enjoy the colors in the cottonwoods this time of year -- lots of varying shades of green, yellow and orange.

Bear Creek Lake Park
Playing with perspective a bit on this shot.  And again with the nice variety of leaf color, all on a single tree.

Bear Creek Lake Park
I had hoped to see owls today, but it wasn't to be.  All that time looking up toward the treetops did present more views of solar bursts, which aren't a bad consolation prize.

Bear Creek Lake Park
My wildlife today was limited to this late season butterfly, which I'll have to tap into BAMONA to identify.  Less than two weeks from November, and still thistles in bloom and butterflies flitting about.  So spoiled!

No comments: