Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Mount Sherman, Take Two

An intrepid group set out to climb Mount Sherman one fine summer day -- a group I was a part of.  Largely comprised of experienced hikers, we nonetheless eschewed cold weather attire like hats and gloves. Alas, our overconfidence would prove our undoing, as high winds and sleet just a half a mile from the summit proved too much to handle. We turned back in shame, but vowed this would not be the end of the story.

Eight years later, redemption was attained!

Mount Sherman
Sadly, none of the rest of the group could join me.  Life, and what not.  So I set out alone -- with hat and gloves on -- and promptly took the same wrong turn as eight years earlier.  What looked like a series of gentle switchbacks to the saddle was, um, not.  I arrived at some rusted mining equipment, then enjoyed (?) a steep traverse across a scree-covered slope to get where I was supposed to be.

Mount Sherman
Undeterred, I pressed on!  Skies were overcast, but not threatening.

Mount Sherman
The view of the summit from the saddle was much clearer then it had been in 2014.  No apparent wind and hail, at least.

Mount Sherman
Success!  Enough snow at the top to feel like one had, indeed, climbed a mountain.  But not enough to affect the actual trek.  In fact, the final stretch after the inevitable false summit was very gentle.  Like a red carpet had been rolled out to welcome me at last.

Mount Sherman
A short break for a snack, a drink, and a few photos was mandatory ...

Mount Sherman
... and then the clouds which seemed like a pleasant companion started to grow a bit more menacing.  OK, time to get back down!

Mount Sherman
Well, nuts.  The winds and sleet hit on the descent.  But fortunately, it was the descent this time.  So the solution was the same -- descend!

Mount Sherman
Fortunately, the tough weather actually didn't last long.  It seemed confined to the ridge between the saddle and summit, and once I got down further things were calm and comfortable again.

Mount Sherman
I still have mixed feelings about "ruins," since the term seems to romanticize waste and irresponsibility.  But they can sometimes add interest to a photo.

Mount Sherman
Honestly, conditions on the return to the trailhead couldn't have been better.  Warm, but not so hot I needed to shed layers.  And pretty views down the valley.

Mount Sherman
The peak really doesn't look like much from below.  And despite some trepidation about how I'd hold up at altitude, I had no issues with the hike.  That gives me optimism that more 14ers may still be in my future (I've now done six in all).  But for now I'm happy to just finally check Mount Sherman off my list!

No comments: