Monday, August 2, 2021

Olympic Peninsula, July 2021: Rialto Beach

One sight I really wanted to see on the Olympic Peninsula was the Hole in the Wall on Rialto Beach.  The hike there and back is 3.3 miles, so you've got to work a bit.  I respect landmarks that make you earn it!

Hole in the Wall, Rialto Beach
Danelle didn't want to make the hike, opting instead to sit on the beach and read.  I focused more on getting there and back quickly than I normally would, so I passed up chances to shoot some of the interesting driftwood along the shore.  Overcast conditions might detract from the brilliance of my pictures, but they'd at least make the walk more comfortable.

I didn't arrive at Hole in the Wall at low tide, so I wasn't able to reach it directly.  Instead I had to climb overall a small ridge and try and approach it from the north, which I was fortunately able to do.  I used the arch to first frame James Island...

Hole in the Wall, Rialto Beach
... and then the nearby shark tooth sea stacks.

Hole in the Wall, Rialto Beach
Climbing over the ridge may have been a bit of a blessing, because it gave me the opportunity to shoot the arch from an interesting angle.

"Shark Teeth" Sea Stacks, Rialto Beach
It also afforded a nice view to the south of the aforementioned sea stacks, James Island, and Little James Island.

"Shark Teeth" Sea Stacks, Rialto Beach
The sea stacks were just as impressive close up.  At low tide I could have gotten even closer, but I do like the look of the incoming surf.

I confess I was pretty wiped out when I got back to Danelle; hiking on sand and loose gravel is always challenging.  But it was worth it to visit this famous feature!

No comments: