Sunday, July 25, 2021

Olympic Peninsula, July 2021: Lake Crescent

Following a couple of wonderful nights on the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula, we made our first foray into the national park with a stop at Lake Crescent.

Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park
The lake was an invitingly brilliant blue on this bright, sunny morning -- the absolute classic vision of an alpine lake.

Marymere Falls Trail, Olympic National Park
I decided to make the walk to Marymere Falls -- less than a mile and only 300 feet of elevation gain to get to.  The moss on the trees along the way consistently captivated me.

Marymere Falls Trail, Olympic National Park
One massive tree was particularly mesmerizing.  I could have spent hours looking for the perfect angle to capture it.

Marymere Falls, Olympic National Park
A steep set of wooden stairs leads to the falls.  My lens flare makes them look like something from a fairy tale. 

Marymere Falls Trail, Olympic National Park
The air was cool, the sun was bright, and I could have hiked for miles...

Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park
...so I decided to do one more!  Danelle and I walked the Moments in Time Trail, which is just 7/10 of a mile in length.

Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park
The trail provides several opportunities to walk to the shore of the lake, which we took full advantage of.

Moments in Time Trail, Olympic National Park
And it meanders through more moss-covered trees, which continued to capture my interest.

Moments in Time Trail, Olympic National Park
The moss on the trail covers more than just live trees.  This bench clearly couldn't escape its inexorable grip.

As appetizers go, Lake Crescent was quite tasty.  I was already looking forward to continuing to feast on Olympic National Park!

No comments: