Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Ennis Bluebonnets 2021: Telico

I made another return trip on Saturday to one of my favorite fields.  It's actually not on any of the driving trails recommended by the Ennis Garden Club, but it very likely should be.

Paintbrush in Bluebonnets
The field is southeast of Telico along FM 1181, and it was absolutely stunning when I first shot it back in 2017.  While I was shooting, the owner of the property approached me. I was at first concerned that I had missed a "No Trespassing" sign. Instead, he told me that he had a "Welcome" sign that he had put up in years past and wanted my opinion as to whether he should put it up again. I told him he absolutely should!

Wild Carrot in Bluebonnets
He was quite happy to chat, and added that he hadn't put up the sign yet because he didn't think the field looked as good this year. He found it funny that people now came to see plants that he used to have to hoe to get rid of when he was young. And he relayed a story of how two visitors to the field once struck up a conversation with each other and discovered that they lived 15 minutes apart in Iowa!

Telico Bluebonnet Field
Lovely man, lovely field.  I savored my time there, trying both a telephoto lens to shoot this view ...

Telico Bluebonnet Field
... and then a more traditional wide angle.

Bumblebee on PaintbrushBumblebee on PaintbrushBumblebee on Paintbrush

Bumblebee on Paintbrush
There were butterflies and bees aplenty also enjoying the blossoms.  I was happy to get this sequence of a bumblebee sampling nectar from a paintbrush.

I loved getting to see a second gorgeous field on one trip.  I do hope the owner put the sign up!

No comments: