Sunday, January 27, 2019

Grand Lake and More, January 2019

Zak and I made our annual winter break pilgrimage to Colorado last month, just to make sure it still has mountains, snow, and Woody's Wood-Fired Pizza.

I'm happy to give a positive report on all fronts. :)

Lake Granby
I dropped Zak off in Winter Park so he could snowboard with his buddies, then headed up the road to hit the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Morning clouds were still thick when I reached Lake Granby, but starting to break.

Adams Falls Trail
After the traditional hearty breakfast at Fat Cat Cafe, I headed for the Adams Falls Trail first.  Snowshoes weren't needed since the snow was well packed.

Adams Falls Trail
I did something a little different for me and included the stone wall and railing in this composition.  In hindsight I wish I'd gone a step further and put myself in the shot as well for a little extra scale and context.

Adams Falls Trail
Fantastic views to the east with the fresh snow, low winter sun, and Mt. Baldy in the distance.

Adams Falls Trail
Everything I said about the last shot, now with portrait orientation!

Adams Falls Trail
Interesting contrast here, between the violence that likely led to all these logs being strewn about the east inlet and the unbroken stillness of the scene now under the fresh blanket of snow.

Rocky Mountain National Park
After a short round-trip walk to the falls and back I headed into the park.  Or at least, I tried to head into the park.  Thanks to the government shutdown, the park was closed to vehicle traffic.  Not to be completely deterred, I walked in a short distance from the Kawuneeche Visitor Center and took in the view of the Never Summer Mountains and some cross-country skiers enjoying the beautiful day.

Mt. Baldy
I wasn't interested in a lengthy hike, so it was back to the car and headed for Denver.  I stopped along the western shore of Grand Lake to get another shot of Mt. Baldy.

Lake Granby
Lake Granby was crowded by mid-day with ice fishermen.  Not a hobby I've ever had any interest in.  I don't like to fish in warm weather -- why would I do it in freezing temperatures?

Echo Lake
Since my time in RMNP had been cut short, I decided to swing up to Echo Lake just to see what I could see.  What I saw was lots of cars in the parking area and lots of tracks on the lake.  Oh, well.

Not precisely the day I'd planned, but any day outside breathing fresh mountain air is a good one!

No comments: