Sunday, April 29, 2018

City Nature Challenge 2018

I'm a huge fan of iNaturalist. Altruistically, it's a great feeling to contribute to actual scientific research and a better understanding of the natural world. Selfishly, it is the absolute best resource for identifications on species I can't figure out on my own. This weekend being the 2018 City Nature Challenge provided a nice excuse to get out right in my own town and take some pictures.

Western Honey Bee, John Thomas Wildflower Preserve
My first stop was the John Thomas Wildflower Preserve near Forestwood Middle School.  And one of my first shots turned out to be a two-fer -- a Western Honey Bee enjoying some Crimson Clover.

Common Paper Wasp, John Thomas Wildflower Preserve
Even though they look ferocious, I have no problem with Common Paper Wasps.  Of course, I still used every inch of my 400mm lens and stayed a solid five feet away to take his picture.

Mallard Hen and Ducklings, Rheudasil Park
Rheudasil Park was next, where I didn't see any uncommon ducks like I thought I might.  But Mallard ducklings were still a solid consolation prize.

Common Whitetail, Post Oak Park
My true destination was Post Oak Park, where I've had some success in the past seeing both a variety of different species and some truly unexpected ones.  I wasn't sure if it was too early in the season for dragonflies, but there were plenty like this Common Whitetail darting about.

Blue-Winged Teal, Post Oak Park
I often see an uncommon visitor on the shaded pond, and this visit was no exception with a pair of Blue-Winged Teals cruising around.

Red-eared Slider, Post Oak Park
The larger unshaded pond always seems to have plenty of turtles.  But I'm constantly surprised at how skittish they are and challenging to photograph because they duck into the water as soon as they hear or see me coming.  This Red-eared Slider must have thought he was pretty well camouflaged in the algae and other much because he didn't disappear.  As such, he got his picture taken.

Blue-ringed Dancer, Post Oak Park
A pair of Blue-ringed Dancers also didn't take off at my approach.  But they were, uh, preoccupied.

Red-shouldered Hawk, Post Oak Park
I always take a peek at this large dead tree in the middle of the marsh, thinking it's a terrific perch for a raptor.  Today a Red-shouldered Hawk shared my opinion.

I managed to collect and share observations of 21 different species between my three stops.  Unfortunately, the San Francisco Bay Area was running away with the challenge.  Next year I may have to spend a little more time out  in the field!

No comments: