Sunday, April 9, 2017

Woodway Park

If there's any time of year when Texas is a nature photographer's paradise, it's during bluebonnet season. This year I decided to expand my normal range and take an overnight trip to the Hill Country to shoot some. Reports a couple of weeks ago indicated things were about to peak, so I booked a room in Killeen and headed out on a Friday afternoon.

Woodway Park Bluebonnets
My first stop was actually in Waco.  I planned my drive to get there just before sunset, and some online research pointed to Woodway Park as a promising destination.  I didn't find huge fields of bluebonnets when I got there, but I did discover this nice patch right on the shore of Lake Waco.

Woodway Park Bluebonnets
Golden hour side light can make just about anything look good.  When your subject is bluebonnets, it really doesn't take much.

Woodway Park Sunset
Being on the east shore of the lake, I then had a nice view of the setting sun.  Others had also come out to enjoy the tranquil and serene moment.

Woodway Park Sunset
See my earlier comment on golden hour side light. :)

Woodway Park Sunset
I picked my way through some already overgrown shoreline terrain to a spot where a bit of a tree graveyard added some foreground interest as the sun prepared to dip below the horizon.

No clouds in the sky meant there was little twilight color to speak of.  I was satisfied with this appetizer, but I had a fever.  And the only prescription was More Bluebonnets!  So it was back to the car and on to Killeen for some sleep before an early departure to catch sunrise on Saturday!

No comments: