Sunday, April 26, 2015

Ennis Bluebonnet Trails Festival: Cattle & Birds

While the main attraction of the Ennis Bluebonnet Trails Festival is unquestionably the flora, that's not to say that there isn't also some fauna worth seeing. Much of it isn't exactly of the wild variety. But even humble cows can look somewhat elegant on a beautiful spring day.

Cow and Calf, Ennis
Despite being a good distance away, this mother and calf took turns giving me the evil eye while I shot.

Cows, Ennis
These two cattle seemed to have themselves a lovely spot for a picnic.

Calves, Ennis
Those who don't believe that fear is learned should check out these calves.  Far from being concerned about me, they were instead all curious for a closer look.

Cow, Ennis
This old gal couldn't really be bothered one way or the other.  She just stood in the green grass, contentedly chewing her cud.

Texas Longhorn, Ennis
The map of the area had two locations marked as having Texas Longhorns.  A small group including this fellow was sitting quite a ways back from the road behind a gated fence.  But the adjacent property had an open driveway.  When I drove down it to the house and asked the owner if I could walk up to her side of the fence to take pictures, she graciously allowed me to do so.

Lark Sparrow, Ennis
I believe this is a Lark Sparrow also enjoying the beautiful weather.  There were actually a pair of them in the tree, but I couldn't get them both in focus.

Red-tailed Hawk, Ennis
Drive-by sighting -- this red-tailed hawk high up in a tree.  Cars really do make great blinds.  I was able to pull up quite close to him for this shot.

Red-tailed Hawk, Ennis
Anticipating that he was about to take flight, I recomposed to capture the moment.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize that he was going to jump up and not just out.  So I lost some of the top of his wing, which is a real shame since I was able to get his eye so crisp.

Red-tailed Hawk, Ennis
On the next shot when I did manage to get all of him in the frame, the eye ended up a little soft.  Very nearly a great shot; instead I'll chalk it up as another learning experience!

No comments: