Monday, August 18, 2014

Adare, Cliffs of Moher and Rathbaun Farm

Our eighth day in Ireland was packed with three separate stops, each offering something special and unique.

Holy Trinity Abbey, Adare
First up was the town of Adare and its Holy Trinity Abbey, which is nearly 800 years old.  I liked the sense of anticipation of the empty chair and the bit of trepidation from the confessional booth.

Holy Trinity Abbey, Adare
I love the story implied in this scene.  What brought this elderly gentleman here?  Was it a one-time thing or a regular occurrence?  I wish I could say the depth of field was intentional, and meant to convey the need to focus on God rather than oneself.  But that part is just a coincidence. :)

Cliffs of Moher
Next up were the Cliffs of Moher.  Our weather so far on the trip had been absolutely fantastic, but here we got our first taste of "true" Irish weather.  It rained, and it rained hard.  Undeterred, Zak and I headed out to get soaked and take in their beauty anyway.

Cliffs of Moher
And they were gorgeous.  The rain and clouds added an air of mystery to the scene, and we loved our time there.  The hearty bowl of Irish stew Zak and I shared in the cafeteria before we left didn't hurt.

Rathbaun Farm
Our final stop was a charming little place -- Rathbaun Farm.  We were greeted by Pippa, who wisely sat close to the turf fire.

Rathbaun Farm
The 80-acre farm has a variety of livestock, and shrewdly keeps babies like this miniature horse on prominent display.  How about the eyelashes on these two?

Rathbaun Farm
Still a bit wobbly, but undaunted.

Rathbaun Farm
Speaking of babies, an inquisitive lamb seemed happy to see our tour group.

Rathbaun Farm
Fintan Connolly demonstrated sheep shearing technique.  But these sheep weren't being raised for their wool.

Rathbaun Farm
Bottom line: Don't get too attached to any of the sheep.

Rathbaun Farm
What is it with baby animals trying to stare me down?

Rathbaun Farm
I absolutely loved this old boot that had been turned into a flower pot.  I wish I'd taken the time to compose my shot of it a little better so the other flowers in the upper right weren't distracting from the subject.  Maybe I'll get another shot someday!

No comments: