Monday, May 5, 2014

Cherry Creek North Night Photowalk

I've been wanting to attend one of Illuminate Workshops' monthly night photowalks for more than a year, but always had some sort of conflict or excuse. This past weekend I finally changed that, joining the group for a trek around Cherry Creek North.

Cherry Creek North
And quite a group it was -- nearly 40 people in all with as wide a variety of cameras as I've ever seen in one place.  We started around 8:00, with no particular agenda or plan other than to look for eye-catching visuals like the reflections off the windows of this office building.

Cherry Creek North
There was no way I could pass up shooting these fountains, though I wish I'd been able to shoot down on them even more to take out the slightly distracting background.

Cherry Creek North
Some interesting neon lights in a salon.

Cherry Creek North
I applied some of the zoom lens light painting techniques I'd learned at the Butterfly Pavilion workshop back in January to pleasing effect on this parking sign.

Cherry Creek North
You may have to study this shot for a bit before the face becomes apparent.  It's the statue in front of the Wizard's Chest game/toy/magic/costume shop.

Cherry Creek North
Another statue in a dramatic pose that I thought the sharply contrasting light accentuated nicely.

Cherry Creek North
Streetlights cast shadows of tree branches on the sidewalk.

Cherry Creek North
I settled for shooting the sign, but what I really wanted was to go in for a burger.

Cherry Creek North
Traffic passes by the Cherry Creek Shopping Center on 1st Avenue.

Cherry Creek North
More zoom lens light painting with a sign in front of a parking garage.

Cherry Creek North
A canopy above a street glowed with lights of changing colors.

Spent 2 1/2 hours wandering around before about half of the hardy souls who hadn't yet turned into pumpkins gathered for a drink at Machete.  It was great to shoot something so completely different from my normal landscapes and wildlife, and I look forward to doing more urban nighttime photography soon!

No comments: