Sunday, January 5, 2014

South Platte Park: January 2014

Saturday's snow and a forecast for clear skies this morning gave me hope for a sunrise worth shooting. And when I left the house around 6:30 to hear over to South Platte Park it seemed like I might get one. Alas, the clouds rolled in quickly and the snow returned before the sun actually broke the horizon. But I wasn't about to let that stop me from finding beauty.

South Platte Park
The lack of color this time of year and in that sort of weather practically begged for every shot to be black and white.

South Platte Park
The bitter cold temperatures left crystalline snow atop frozen ground.

South Platte Park
Unsurprisingly, the absence of other tracks in the snow indicated I was the first one to cross the footbridge into Chatfield State Park this morning.

South Platte Park
The small cascades I'd enjoyed a few months earlier were just as captivating now.

South Platte Park
Hard to believe traffic was speeding down C-470 just a few feet from this tranquil spot.

South Platte Park
I meandered off the main trail on my way back to my car and was obliged to cross this dubious-looking structure, which actually held together.

South Platte Park
As the sun rose higher it made an effort to shine through the clouds.  Feeble, but enough to add another element of interest to the scenery.

South Platte Park
It was a bit tricky to find clear views that included the sun but excluded power lines that parallel the South Platte River for much of its course through the southern part of the park.  Tricky, but not impossible.

South Platte Park
Most of the Canada Geese I came across were wide awake and moved away at my approach, either through the water or the air.  But this bunch must have been out partying.

South Platte Park
It was nearly 9:30 by now, and nearly the whole group was still fast asleep!  So much so that they had an accumulation of snow on their feathered backs.  Who's tougher than a Canada Goose?  Not I, for certain!

An enjoyable and peaceful morning, if a frigid one.  I've just about gotten all the feeling back in my fingers and toes now, though.  So it was all worthwhile!

No comments: