Sunday, July 27, 2008

At Least They Don't Chew Their Cuds

Zak and Taryn are grazers. They just can't -- or won't -- eat a lot at one sitting. The times we've tried to make them have usually ended in disaster -- i.e., vomit.

We've given them the "well, this is what's for dinner so don't expect any more later" line. We've negotiated with them in an "all right, just have two more bites of rice and one more bite of broccoli" fashion. We haven't tried the guilt angle with "there are people starving in Ethiopia" yet, but I don't think it would register at their ages anyway.

What I can't figure out is why we're trying so hard. Studies have shown that eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day is actually healthier. It helps you avoid getting too hungry and overeating, and keeps your metabolism up so your energy level stays more consistent.

I'm sure part of it has to do with our own upbringings and habits. I have vivid memories of staring at the last cold piece of kielbasa or bite of babka on my plate long after the rest of my family had left the dining room table. I think my sister Dawn got to do it even more often than I did.

I wouldn't follow my kids' lead on most things -- for instance, which shirt and pants go together. But they just might have the right idea on this one.

Frankly, I'm all for anything that lowers my chances of having to clean up puke.

No comments: