Saturday, October 5, 2024

Abyss Lake Trail 2024

Leaf-peeping season arrived earlier than I expected this year.  But I got some reports of peak foliage on Guanella Pass in time to drive out there and catch it!

Abyss Trail
Up at 4:30 a.m., at the Abyss Lake Trailhead before 6:30, and the parking lot was already full!  I didn't have to park too far away, though, and got started while the sky was brightening but the sun had yet to clear the ridgeline.

Abyss Trail
A couple of miles in where the trail crosses the creek is the first really breathtaking vista.  Most other hikers had stopped there to shoot, as well.

Abyss Trail
I pressed on for a few minutes, and reached a meadow to the north of the trail that seemed worth bushwhacking through.

Abyss Trail
My instincts were rewarded by arriving at the creek again to this scene, which was the whole reason I came out.

Abyss Trail
I fussed a bit and recomposed...

Abyss Trail
... and recomposed some more, because this for me was exactly what I had hoped to see.

Abyss Trail
Returning to the trailhead I got a nice peek at the sun through a tree full of golden leaves.

Abyss Trail
And a nice little grove brightening up its area.

I had already gotten the picture I came for.  Now it was time to brave the traffic on Guanella Pass and see what other views I might find!

Related Links:

No comments: