Saturday, January 20, 2024

Regency at Montaine, January 2024

Living in Colorado again provides constant reminders that great nature photography opportunities are literally right outside your front door.  I had made plans to go to Waterton Canyon today to do some hiking and look for wildlife, and I was pulling out of my neighborhood I saw a car on the shoulder by some open space with its hazards on.  I know what that means, so I wheeled around to see what was up.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
Three bull elk were peacefully grazing.  I stopped my car, rolled down my window and started shooting.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
Two of the three were half-heartedly knocking their antlers together from time to time.  Nothing really to fight over, but never too early to practice.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
This fellow was not, in fact, bugling.  But he certainly looks like he was, which is cool.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
He didn't bugle, but he did groom himself a bit.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
To my surprise, after this guy "bugled" and groomed he decided to lie down!  The other two agreed with him, and since it seemed like nothing much else was going to happen I went back home.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
Danelle and I went out right after I got back home, and on a hunch I kept my camera with me.  The sun had started to break through the clouds by this point.  We drove back past where the elk had been, and sure enough they were still there.  So a few more pics were in order.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
Mid-chew always makes for a fun shot.

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
We ran errands for about an hour and a half, then returned home to bright, full sunshine.  And guess who were still right where we'd left them?

Bull Elk, Regency at Montaine
One final shot of the trio all together, and I decided I'd intruded on their idyllic Saturday long enough.  I do look forward to more wildlife encounters in our beautiful new home!

No comments: