Sunday, November 21, 2021

Gem Lake, July 2021

Eleven years ago this month I hiked to Gem Lake with Taryn, and we had a blast.  This past summer during our three-day stay in Estes Park I decided to try the trail again in summer.

Wild Bergamot, Gem Lake Trail
One immediate difference -- blooming wildflowers like this Wild Bergamot.

Gem Lake Trail
The vistas toward Rocky Mountain National Park were just as spectacular, if a bit greener.

Gem Lake Trail
My panorama game still isn't quite as strong as I'd like it.  I'm reluctant to take off my polarizing filter when shooting landscapes, but the different shadings in the sky where the different shots in this one are stitched together are no good.

Gem Lake
The day was hot, and the final stretch of the trail is steep.  So the lake was a welcome sight when I reached it.

Gem Lake
I've seen ponds bigger than this lake, but its small size doesn't detract from its beauty.  It truly is a gem.

Paul Bunyan's Boot, Gem Lake Trail
Paul Bunyan's Boot is a fascinating rock formation along the trail.  I somewhat embarrassingly lost my balance while I was setting up my tripod and toppled over, which made me feel quite old and decrepit.

Gem Lake Trail
This is the only short stretch of trail that goes through aspens, because it's the only part that borders a stream.

Gem Lake Trail
I liked seeing a couple of walking sticks propped up against the gate at the trailhead, a gift passed forward from someone who no longer needed them to the next person who did.

Great Blanketflower, Gem Lake Trail
Some Great Blanketflowers along with more Bergamot at the trailhead, and the hike was done.   Roughly 2 1/2 hours to cover about 3 1/2 miles and nearly a thousand feet of elevation gain, with the typical time for taking pictures along the way.  A wonderful Colorado summer afternoon!

No comments: