Sunday, March 21, 2021

Aransas NWR, March 2021

I set aside most of my one full day in the Corpus Christi area to visit Aransas National Wildlife Refuge.  I didn't appreciate wildlife refuges as much as I did national parks for a while, but I've come to seek them out almost as frequently in my travels -- especially if I'm hoping to see, well, wildlife.  Funny how that works.

Storm clouds along FM 774
I'm not a storm chaser by any stretch, but I really like the combination of ominous clouds and bare field in this scene from along my drive.

Wild Turkey along FM 774
This Wild Turkey hen along the road seemed stuck on the wrong side of the fence, and quite sad about it.

American Bullfrog, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
Upon arriving at the refuge I hiked the Rail Trail, and spotted this American Bullfrog in the reeds.

American Alligator, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
The trail parallels a long, narrow slough that also has American Alligators.

Netleaf Hackberry, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
I don't think I've ever seen a leaf that was almost completely white like this Netleaf Hackberry before.

Black-throated Green Warbler, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
I also hiked the Dagger Point Trail, and had my usual frustrating experience trying to photograph the songbirds that flitted about the forest.  This shot of a Black-throated Green Warbler was my best effort.

Dagger Point Trail, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
The loop trail itself is nice, and not a difficult walk at only about a mile in length.

Beach Trash, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
I got down to the shore at one point and found more trash than natural scenery.  So I made some lemonade with this visual lemon.

Monarch Butterfly, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
I encountered LOTS of butterflies throughout the day.  Most of them were disinterested in landing.  I was fortunate to get a clean shot of this Monarch, because it didn't sit still for very long.

Spotted Gar, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
I stopped at an alligator viewing area where there was, indeed, an alligator.  But I was more intrigued by this Spotted Gar.  There's not enough context to tell from the shot, but the fish looked to be at least three feet long.

I got glimpses of other critters while driving and walking around, including White-tailed Deer, American Kestrels, and Whooping Cranes.  But no other compelling photos of anything.  The refuge did seem quite dry, so I wonder if there's more activity when things are wetter.  Whatever the case, I feel the same way about NWRs as other folks do about fishing and golfing -- a bad day at one is still better than any day inside!

No comments: