Saturday, November 21, 2020

Cuyahoga Valley National Park: Day 2

After an amazing night camping at Heritage Farms I was up early to take in a couple of more elements of Cuyahoga Valley.

Blue Hen Falls was first up.  It was supposed to be just a half a mile from the trailhead, but the parking area was closed.  Instead people were asked to park at the visitor center a mere ... wait for it ... THREE MILES AWAY.

Yeah, I had a problem with that.  So considering it was 6 a.m., I decided to take a chance and park quasi-legally on the side of the road.  Even continuing past Blue Hen Falls to the recommended Buttermilk Falls, I figured I could easily get back before being ticketed or towed.

[Slight foreshadowing]

Blue Hen Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
I didn't exactly run to Blue Hen Falls, but walking at a brisk pace I was able to get there in less than 10 minutes. And for only being about 15 feet tall, I thought they were pretty nice!

Buttermilk Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
It took me a little longer to get to Buttermilk, and despite being taller (20 feet) I wasn't as taken with them.  Once I'd gotten my picture I hustled back up the trail, tripping on a tree root and wiping out fairly spectacularly along the way.  No major damage to myself or my camera, thankfully.  And my car was still there an unticketed when I arrived.  But it was an awful lot of unnecessary risk, which I admonished myself for taking.

Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
My final destination in the park was Beaver Marsh, where I was hoping to get some wildlife shots.  It was neat to see a bit of the Erie Canal there, too.

Purple Loosestrife, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Was this Purple Loosestrife growing right out of the fallen log?  Even if not, it was a cool effect.

Wood Duck Chick, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
A pair of young Wood Ducks zipped through the lily pads near one of the observation decks.  I was able to get a decent shot of one of them.  Quick little buggers.

Red-winged Blackbird, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
A lady blackbird had found herself some breakfast ...

Green Heron, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
... while a Green Heron was on the hunt for some.

Common Whitetail, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
I expected to see more dragonflies like this Common Whitetail.

Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
The marsh had drowned a few trees, it seemed.

Great Blue Heron, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
A Great Blue Heron took flight from amidst the tall grass.

American White Waterlily, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
American White Waterlilies have beautiful flowers.  I can never seem to quite capture them, though.

Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
If I lived nearby, Beaver Marsh seems like the sort of place I would return too often hoping to see something different.

Wood Duck, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
A young lady Wood Duck had found herself a secluded spot in some shade.

Wood Duck, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Not sure if this Wood Duck was also a lady or a young lad, but it preferred the sun.

Great Blue Heron, Beaver Marsh, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Another Great Blue Heron -- at least I assume it was a different one -- was doing some hunting in the brackish water.  It was so intent on finding a meal that I was able to get a great view.

Happy to say that Cuyahoga Valley exceeded my expectations!  Not sure it reaches the standard I've grown accustomed to from the Rocky Mountain National Parks, but it definitely has plenty going for it.

No comments: