Friday, November 20, 2020

Cuyahoga Valley National Park: Day 1

After starting the day with the sun in Virginia's Shenandoah, it was a four-hour drive to get to my next park -- Cuyahoga Valley in Ohio.  I wasn't sure what to expect from a national park woven into a suburban setting.  But I was looking forward to finding out!

Wild Carrot, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
First stop in the park was Brandywine Falls, which had a lovely loop walk bursting with wildflowers like this Wild Carrot.

Brandywine Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
The falls are 65 feet high, and had equally lovely views from the trail's lower boardwalk...

Brandywine Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
... and its upper one.

Ohio Buckeye, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
What would a trail in Ohio be without Buckeye?

Virginia Kendall Ledges Sunset, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
After a quick dinner, it was off to catch sunset at the Virginia Kendall Ledges.  After the vast expanses in Great Smoky and Shenandoah, I had a hard time adjusting to the smaller scale of Cuyahoga Valley.  I started on the trail to the sunset point and kept walking right past it because I didn't realize I had reached it that quickly.  After realizing my error and turning back, I set up and did what one does when shooting sunset.  Waited.

Virginia Kendall Ledges Sunset, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
I was glad to get some people in the foreground for context as the sun neared the horizon.  These two add a little familiarity and tranquility to make up for the lack of color.

Suburban setting or no, my first exposure to Cuyahoga Valley was solid.  I looked forward to exploring the park further the next day!

No comments: