Sunday, November 24, 2019

Tagus Cove

The third day of our Galápagos adventure I actually wasn't feeling very well, so I spent the morning on the boat. But one does not go the Galápagos Islands to simply stay on the boat. So even though I wasn't significantly better by the afternoon, I still sucked it up and boarded the Zodiac to Tagus Cove on Isabela Island for a one-mile hike to the top of a parasitic volcano cone.

Galápagos Hawk, Tagus Cove
We were immediately rewarded upon arriving on shore by a pair of Galápagos Hawks.  Like most wildlife in the islands -- and unlike most raptors I've seen -- the birds were not especially concerned with us.

Tagus Cove
I wonder at what point graffiti stops being vandalism and starts being historically significant?  Whatever the case, some of the rock writings where we came ashore are said to date back to the 1890s.

Galápagos Land Iguana, Tagus Cove
Warm late afternoon light again helps enhance the colors of this Galápagos Land Iguana.

Palo Santo Trees, Tagus Cove Trail
I didn't realize the skeletal appearance of these palo santo trees is perfectly normal when they're dormant.  They reminded me of hillsides back in Colorado after a forest fire.

Darwin Lake, Tagus Cove Trail
Our hike quickly ascended above Darwin Lake, which was possibly filled with salt water from earthquakes and tsunamis caused by volcanic eruptions and is now three times saltier than the ocean due to evaporation.  I have two different takes on the view -- a three-image HDR blend...


Darwin Lake, Tagus Cove Trail

...and a three-image panoramic stitch.  I like the clouds and the deep hues in the water of the panorama, but do wish the area in shade wasn't quite so dark.

Summit View, Tagus Cove Trail
Speaking of panoramas, here's one looking south down the length of Isabela Island from the top of the volcano.  I had to wait patiently for the rest of my group to start heading back down the trail to get the full wraparound.

Summit View, Tagus Cove Trail
Our pensive and slightly nauseous adventurer, looking contemplatively into the distance.  You can't even see the shutter remote in my right hand. :)

And as Danelle insisted be my goal for the entire trip, I caught back up the rest of my group before they had finished boarding the Zodiac so they didn't have to wait for me!

Click here for more blog posts from my amazing visit to the Galápagos Islands!

No comments: