Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Lake Bob Sandlin State Park, Part I

I couldn't believe it had been three years since I took Ginny out to Tyler State Park for a fall foliage hike. But Facebook said it had been that long since I shared some of those pictures. And Facebook never lies, right?

Anyway...

The point is I was long overdue to get out and try and shoot some more fall color. I called Lake Bob Sandlin State Park last Friday, and the helpful ranger on the phone said the color was still excellent. So Ginny, my cameras, and I hopped in the car Saturday morning and headed east.

Turkey Hay Bale, Mt. Vernon, TX
I had to pull the car over and get out to shoot this turkey in Mt. Vernon.  Quality use of a hay bale.

Dogwood Trail, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
I decided to hike the Dogwood Trail to the Trout Pond first.  The weather was perfect -- warm, dry, and only a light breeze.  And there was, indeed, color on the trail. :)

Beautyberries, Lake Bob Sandlin State ParkBeautyberries, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park

Beautyberries, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Beautyberry was new for me.  I had no idea what the bright purple berries were, but they practically begged to have their pictures taken.

Dogwood Trail, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
With Ginny on a leash I considered not trying to also carry a second camera with my zoom lens.  But I was glad I did to capture some of the close-up color.

Dogwood Trail, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Just seeing so much leaf litter, smelling it in the air, hearing the crunch, and feeling the soft slipperiness under my feet was wonderfully therapeutic.  The only sense I didn't use was taste!

Trout Pond, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
After 1.6 miles on the trail, we reached the Trout Pond.  It was clear we'd missed peak foliage, but enough trees still had their leaves to make for a pretty scene.

Trout Pond, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
The reflections of the Bald Cypress trunks kept drawing my eye.  The trees had already dropped their needles...

Trout Pond, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
...but there were enough floating on the water to make an interesting visual.

Trout Pond, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Did I mention I was drawn to the cypress trunks?

Trout Pond, Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Drawing my eye wasn't enough.  I ended up walking around the pond and getting right up to the water's edge by the trees for a different angle.


Related Links:

No comments: