Monday, November 4, 2019

Puerto Egas, Part III

After wandering up and down the beach more or less on my own for a while, the ship's naturalists came ashore and led small groups on hikes along the rocky coast.

Santiago Marine Iguana, Puerto Egas
This marine iguana seemed to believe he was pretty well camouflaged.  Or more likely, he didn't really care.

Santiago Marine Iguanas, Puerto Egas
The ridges and crests on these lizards gave them a distinctively prehistoric appearance.

Sally Lightfoot Crabs, Puerto Egas
I love that these rocks had enough water on them to reflect the bright blue sky and add yet another vibrant color to the red and orange hues on the crabs' shells.

Sally Lightfoot Crab, Puerto Egas
Not much beats an accommodating pose.

Puerto Egas
The rocky coast blended tranquility and harshness in an interesting contrast.

Goat's-foot Morning-Glory, Puerto Egas
I saw very few flowers on any of the islands we visited.  This Goat's-foot Morning-Glory was a rare exception.

Galápagos Sea Lion and Sally Lightfoot Crabs, Puerto Egas
I wish there was some recognition by the sea lion of the crab in front of it.  But even without it, I really like this little encounter.

Yellow Warbler, Puerto Egas
I was familiar with the influence that the finches on the Galápagos Islands had on Darwin's theory of evolution.  But to this point, I'd seen many more warblers.

American Oystercatcher, Puerto Egas
I've seen American Oystercatchers in Cape Cod, Galveston, and now the Galápagos.  And they've looked and behaved pretty much the same in every place.

Galápagos Sea Lions, Puerto Egas
A sea lion couple doing what I'd come to accept sea lions do best.  And most.

Click here for more blog posts from my amazing visit to the Galápagos Islands!

No comments: