Monday, October 28, 2019

Puerto Egas, Part II

I got a real treat at Puerto Egas when another member of our shore excursion spotted a young Galápagos Sea Lion pup. I spent about 15 minutes just carefully following it around as it meandered around the beach. It seemed to spend most of its time struggling or sleeping, which I can completely relate to.

Galápagos Sea Lion
The pup looked so pathetic and hapless, I was a little concerned that it had lost its mother.

Galápagos Sea Lion
But it soon began doing a bit of exploring on its own.

Galápagos Sea Lion
Its tiny flippers were pretty adorable.

Galápagos Sea Lion
And it was learning how to pick its teeth with those flippers!  Nice.

Galápagos Sea Lion
I didn't even realize sea lions had nictitating membranes until I reviewed these pics.

Galápagos Sea Lion
Struggling a little on the rocks...

Galápagos Sea Lion
... and then another brief siesta.

Galápagos Sea Lion
It seemed to find just the spot for a good scratch.

I'm always grateful for the opportunity to watch young animals discover their way in the world!

No comments: