Monday, August 5, 2019

Genovesa Island, Part I

I was blessed to spend a week with my wife, Danelle, on an expeditionary cruise in the Galápagos Islands last month, and the experience was as magical as you'd imagine. I took about 3,000 pictures and wish I could have taken 3,000 more!

Our first stop was Genovesa Island in the northeastern part of the archipelago.  "Expeditionary" cruise means you're not just lying around on the Lido Deck getting umbrella drinks.  We were off the ship at 7:30 taking a Zodiac to Prince Philip's Steps, a 90-foot climb up to an amazing array of birds.

Genovesa Island, Galapagos
Seriously, birds nesting, birds flying, and a rainbow?  Disney couldn't have constructed a grander introduction.

Nazca Booby, Genovesa Island
Nazca Boobies seemed to be the most abundant species.  Get the chuckles out of your system now, because "booby" is going to come up a lot in my Galapagos posts!

Nazca Booby, Genovesa Island
Nice look at the bird's nictitating membrane, an inner eyelid that keeps dust out of the eye.

Magnificent Frigatebirds, Genovesa Island
Magnificent Frigatebirds were also nesting with little ones.

Galapagos Dove, Genovesa Island
Galapagos Dove preening.  Love the splash of pink around the neck.

Nazca Boobies, Genovesa Island
As reported, the birds had virtually no fear of people.  Humans simply haven't been a threat to them in many years.

Nazca Booby, Genovesa Island
I get a strong "Sam the Eagle" vibe from this look.

Red-Footed Booby, Genovesa Island
Red-Footed Boobies were also plentiful, nesting in the trees rather than on the ground.

Nazca Booby, Genovesa Island
We were regarded with mild curiosity at most.  I'm not used to so many straight-on stares from birds.

Nazca Booby Nest, Genovesa Island
I believe this is a Nazca Booby nest.  Either that or a set from a Blair Witch sequel.

Click here for more blog posts from my amazing visit to the Galápagos Islands!

No comments: