Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Mount Evans, July 2019: Summit

The photographic high point of my annual summer visit to Colorado -- no pun intended -- is the time I spend with the mountain goats at the summit of Mount Evans. Every year is a little different, but over time I've learned the importance of things like going early, dressing warmly, and bringing extra batteries.  When I check all those boxes, I'm free to just focus on these wonderful animals.

Mountain Goats, Mount Evans
After a great sunrise at Summit Lake Park, I drove to the top before golden hour was over.  As a result, the couple of goats who were already there were bathed in warm light.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
One more without the kid.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
This one just looks like he has mischief on his mind.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I don't do a lot of high-key shots.  The snowy background and bright sun created that effect here.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I only saw this one really young one, and it didn't expose itself for many shots.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I know my focus is sharp when I can make out saliva strands in the mouth.

Mountain Goats, Mount Evans
These two had quite a little standoff going.  I had to wait patiently for them to creep far enough forward to get some decent light on them.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
Even at a young age, the goats are quite comfortable with photographers.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I'm grateful that I don't have to scratch my face with a hoof.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
This goat was actually facing in the opposite direction of the sun, but then turned its head to the camera the perfect amount to get perfectly lit up.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
My cuteness sensors flipped to overload after this moment, and I knew it was time to pack up.

Mount Bierstadt and Abyss Lake
I actually did a little landscape shooting while overlooking Abyss Lake.  One single shot...

Mount Bierstadt and Abyss Lake
...one four-image panoramic shot in landscape orientation...

Mount Bierstadt and Abyss Lake
...and one five-image panoramic shot in portrait orientation.  There's even a goat in the upper right also taking in the view!

I enjoyed my time with the goats as always, although I didn't get the range of interesting behavior that I have in the past.  Assuming I return again next year, that will be my focus!

No comments: