Saturday, November 24, 2018

White Sands National Monument, July 2018: Dusk & Dawn

White Sands was as spectacular as I'd hoped. Arriving in midafternoon gave me some great light in which to shoot it, too. After hiking to my campsite and setting up my tent, I waited to see what sort of show the sunset would provide.

White Sands National Monument, Sunset
Honestly, I didn't get the color I'd hoped for.  But that didn't mean I didn't get beauty.

White Sands National Monument, Sunset
The "blue hour" definitely lived up to its name.  And with that, it was off to a windy night's sleep.

White Sands National Monument, Sunset
In the morning I scaled the dune near my tent and turned my attention to the east, where a splash of crimson greeted me.

White Sands National Monument, Sunrise
Just as the sun began to peek over the horizon, I swiftly but carefully put together an 18-image HDR panoramic of the scene.  It was a perfect way to start my final day of the trip.

White Sands National Monument, Sunrise
One of the great things about sunrises is that they aren't just a single amazing moment.  They're a series of amazing moments, each special in its own way.

White Sands National Monument, Sunrise
One last change of composition, and it was time to pack up the tent, hike back to the car, and start the long drive home.

But of course, a one-mile hike does provide plenty of opportunities for more pictures...

Related Links:

No comments: