Saturday, November 3, 2018

Saguaro National Park, July 2018: Close-Ups

I don't consider myself a "macro photographer." I don't have a true macro lens, or tubes, or extenders, or anything other equipment that enables me to get REALLY close to a subject. That doesn't mean I don't still enjoy getting in tight when the situation seems to call for it. Even at a focal length of about five feet, an 80-400mm lens can reveal some pretty interesting stuff.

Fishhook Barrel Cactus, Saguaro National Park
The cacti in Saguaro National Park practically demanded me to get in close and focus on the patterns and textures in the grooves and spines, like on this Fishhook Barrel Cactus...

Saguaro, Saguaro National Park
... and this Saguaro ...

Texas Prickly-Pear, Saguaro National Park

Texas Prickly-Pear, Saguaro National Park
... and this Texas Prickly-Pear, which I can't decide if I prefer in color or black and white.

Saguaro, Saguaro National Park
Speaking of Saguaro, I liked how these four different sections looked together.  In hindsight, I wish I pulled out the thorny twig on the left.

Tree Bark, Saguaro National Park
My only non-cactus close-up: just some interesting texture on this tree bark.

Organ Pipe Cactus, Saguaro National Park
Grooves and pits on an Organ Pipe Cactus ...

Organ Pipe Cactus, Saguaro National Park
... and spines on another.

Saguaro National Park provided some very different photographic opportunities from the other places I stopped on my road trip.  The beauty here for me was much more in the intimate than the panoramic.  The chance to be moved in so many different ways is one of the things I love about this art!

Related Links:

No comments: