Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mount Evans Mountain Goats: July 2017, Part II

My mountain goat wish definitely came true on my visit to Mount Evans. I saw lots of goats, including several kids. I had great light, little wind, and comfortable temperatures. The goats were calm and unperturbed. There were few other photographers, at least at first. And I was in no hurry. Those elements added up to about three hours and nearly a thousand pictures. And I can't wait to do it again next year. :)

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I'm a sucker for portrait poses like this one.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
Whatever the joke was, it must have been really funny ...

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
... because by the time I re-positioned to shoot in different light, the goat looked like he was still laughing!

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I know it looks like I only got the head of this goat, but it's actually two-thirds of The Beast.  Bonus points if you get the (admittedly lame) joke.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
Did I mention how much of a sucker I am for portrait poses?  The feet look quite coquettish.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
The kid looks like it's pondering whether or not to attempt the jump from one rock to the next.  In truth, they were pretty fearless.

Mountain Goat, Mount Evans
I am slightly disturbed at how this goat appears to have no legs.  Like some sort of Weeble.

Mountain Goats, Mount Evans
I mentioned that I spent about three hours with the goats.  That followed about an hour shooting landscape around sunrise and through the golden hour.  So by the time the goats reached the summit parking area, and the kids started playing on the rocks, and I had a chance for some really great action shots of adorable subjects with a clear background ... my battery ran out.

I was so desperate to catch the action I even asked other folks with Nikons if they had spare batteries, but without luck.  So I only managed a couple of shots of the ridiculous cuteness -- the only real disappointment of my outing.

Mountain Goats, Mount Evans
On the plus side, I did get to meet FRWP Eivor Kuchta in person for the first time.  I've enjoyed her work in the group for years, and it was wonderful to learn that she's tremendously friendly, too!

As if to spare me too much frustration, the goats didn't linger too long before heading back down the mountain away from where the road ran.  So I couldn't have shot them for much more even with a battery.  And since there's no sense wasting time being disappointed anyway, I'll just be grateful for the time I did have with them!

And I'll buy a spare battery.  Just in case.

Related Links:

No comments: