Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Ennis Bluebonnet Trails 2016: Animals

After some great shots at sunrise on my trip to Ennis last Saturday, I was ready to move on to the "gravy" portion of my visit. As in, any other good pictures I might get would just be gravy.

Miniature Donkey, Sugar Ridge Road
Gravy turned out to be right around the bend in the form of this adorable miniature donkey, whose name I would later learn is Sylvester.

Belgian Horses, Sugar Ridge Road
I learned the donkey's name from this wonderful gentleman, who was filling barrels with oats for people to feed to the Belgian Horses.  I thought that was just awesome.  So did the Belgians.

Belgian Horse, Sugar Ridge Road
"Anybody want to feed a real, live Belgian Horse?  Anyone at all?"

Belgian Horse and Donkey, Sugar Ridge Road
"Be patient, son.  You're embarrassing yourself."

Donkey, Sugar Ridge Road
Across the street from the Belgians was this lone donkey.  A passing jogger told me its mate had recently died, and it was very lonely, and it would be great if I could go over and pet it.  Which I did.  And I brought it some oats.  I couldn't tell if any of that made it happy or not.

Mockingbird and Cattle Skull
One of the most Texas things I've ever seen: An old wooden fence adorned by a cattle skull, with a mockingbird perched on top.

Texas Longhorns, Union Hill Road
At least one of these Longhorns had the good manners to say "Cheese" while I took their picture.

Cedar Waxwings, Union Hill Road
I stopped along the road to shoot some wildflowers, and heard rustling in a nearby tree.  It turned out to be a large flock of Cedar Waxwings.  I couldn't get close enough to them for a decent individual shot before they flew off in a whir of wings.  But here are about 40 of them while they didn't consider me a threat.

Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher, FM 879
I saw a couple of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers over the course of the day, back from the tropics and looking for insects to catch.

Still more to come!

No comments: