Thursday, March 24, 2016

Rheudasil Park

Had a free day and my normal desire to take some pictures today. But I didn't feel like driving very far. So I decided to check out the birds at Rheudasil Park just five minutes from my house. I've seen some good shots from there on the Flower Mound's Nature Facebook group, and hoped I'd get to add some of my own.

Common Starling, Rheudasil Park
You know who like Purple Martin houses?  Starlings.  And this guy wanted everyone to know it.

Blue Jay, Rheudasil Park
I love how this Blue Jay seems to be holding that tiny upright twig like a miniature staff.

Mallard, Rheudasil Park
I always have problems with the iridescent heads of Mallard drakes.  This may be one of my best efforts to capture how they shimmer.

Chinese Goose, Rheudasil Park
I caught this Chinese Goose right as he was taking a plunge into the pond.  I wish my burst had gotten him a split second later so I could have some of the splash as he hit the water, but no such luck.

Domestic Goose, Rheudasil Park
I have a well-deserved reputation for being able to sleep just about anywhere.  But I'm not sure I could have nodded off with a stiff breeze blowing off the water like this Domestic Goose could.

Green-Winged Teal, Rheudasil Park
My most unexpected sighting was this female Green-Winged Teal, also slightly ruffled from the wind.

Swan Goose, Rheudasil Park
Morning yoga on the shore.  Not a bad way to start the day.

American Coot, Rheudasil Park
This American Coot was destined to become a meal for someone.  He was off by himself, didn't move as I approached, and his eyes were dull and rheumy.  Circle of Life, folks.

Fountain, Rheudasil Park
Good timing was all this came down to.  The sunlight hit the fountain just right, and I was able to get a quick capture.  I love the cherry on top provided by the bird in flight on the left.

A chilly visit between the wind and the sub-50-degree temperatures, but a splendid one.  It's always nice to see how wildlife can make a comfortable home in an area as developed as ours!

No comments: