Sunday, January 31, 2016

Bosque del Apache Cranes & Geese

I had two main reasons for adding a detour to Bosque del Apache NWR to my winter break road trip with Zak: sandhill cranes and snow geese. Fortunately, I was able to see and shoot both.

Sandhill Crane, Bosque del Apache NWR
The cranes were first on Saturday afternoon and evening.  I set up at the end of the John P. Taylor, Jr. Memorial Trail before sunset and watched a small flock eat and gradually take off to head for their sleeping pond.  They left individually or in small groups, giving me plenty of opportunities for in-flight shots as some passed overhead.

Sandhill Crane, Bosque del Apache NWR
I'm not sure why this one would have been apparently carrying nesting materials in its beak.

Sandhill Cranes, Bosque del Apache NWR
All too soon the sun dipped below the horizon and silhouettes became the best remaining option.

Sandhill Cranes, Bosque del Apache NWR
The frequency of their takeoffs and size of their groups grew as darkness continued to descend.

Sandhill Crane, Bosque del Apache NWR
But even then, I was occasionally able to isolate an individual.

Sandhill Cranes, Bosque del Apache NWR
The golden glow to the west provided a beautiful backdrop to the birds as they headed to sleep.  I was very pleased with what I'd been able to get here -- a slight improvement over my efforts three years ago at Monte Vista NWR.

Snow Geese, Bosque del Apache NWR
As Zak and I left the refuge in the dark, I'd stop periodically and listen for the sounds of snow geese squawking.  I made a mental note of where they sounded the loudest, and that's where we returned the following morning hoping to catch them "blasting off."  While I was right about the location, they flew off to eat 45 minutes before sunrise -- much too early for me to have enough light for a decent shot.  Fortunately, as we continued our drive we found where they were headed -- just a few miles north to a field right off the loop.

Snow Geese, Bosque del Apache NWR
I stopped and began shooting their arrival, as small groups continued to join the large flock already on the ground.

Snow Geese, Bosque del Apache NWR
I had hoped for another blast-off eventually, but instead like the cranes the night before they left this area in drips and drabs.  And I hadn't picked an optimal spot to park, being a little farther away and with the sun directly behind me.  So on my third attempt at snow geese in my third different state, I didn't quite get the shots I'd hoped for.  But I do have great memories, and look forward to returning for another attempt. :)

A whirlwind week had come to an end.  Well, it would come to an end after we drove the 10 hours back home.  But the photo part was over with more than 2,000 images to go through.  And here I am, nearly a month later, finishing up my final blog post about the journey.  My overall expectations had most definitely been met.  But now I'm out of photos to go through!

I guess I'll just have to head out shooting again soon.  Hardly a bad problem to have. :)

No comments: