Sunday, August 2, 2015

RMNP: July 2015 Elk

One thing I've missed shooting since moving to Texas is large mammals. I've spent time with armadillo and bobcat, and lots of birds. But it's just not the state for things like moose, bighorn sheep and elk. So the key goal for my day in Rocky Mountain National Park was to get my fix of charismastic megafauna.

When it came to elk in particular, that mission was thoroughly accomplished.

Elk Cow, Rocky Mountain National Park
First was a female, contentedly grazing along the road through Moraine Park.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
Next was a group of four bulls resting in the shade of some pine trees just off Bear Creek Road near Glacier Creek.  The tree trunks obscured them pretty well.  But they also served to frame this one.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
The real jackpot came on the west side of the park just north of Poudre Lake.  Eight bulls, antlers all in velvet, just hanging out.  A steady rain was falling, but it bothered neither the elk nor the visitors who stopped to enjoy them.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
From the front these powerfully built animals look a bit chubby.  But I think they're just healthy thanks to a wet spring and plentiful food.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
No bugling took place, though this fellow looked a bit like he wanted to.  Still a couple of months away from much of that display.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
The gathered gawkers -- myself included -- all kept a respectful distance away.  None of us left the shoulder of the road, and none of the elk approached.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
Quite a rack on this fellow.  I believe he's a 6x6, also known as a royal.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
I've actually never stumbled on any antlers lying about.  I figure the people who sell them know exactly where to find them and gather them all up.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
With just four points on each side, this boy is probably just a couple of years old, maybe three.

Bull Elk, Rocky Mountain National Park
All this group wanted to do was eat and relax.  Even in the low light, at a very close distance and with them moving very slowly I was able to get many shots that I'm pleased with.

We saw another group of three males farther into the Kawuneeche Valley, but I didn't get any great shots of them.  I'd say seeing 15 bulls (and one cow) more than makes up for missing out on any moose!

No comments: