Sunday, November 16, 2014

Waterton Canyon, November 2014: Part II

Click here for Part I.

I was blessed to see an abundance of wildlife in Waterton Canyon on Friday morning -- squirrels, wild turkeys, mule deer, and even a Spotted Towhee. But I was really there for bighorn sheep. And they did not disappoint.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
When I visited in October I only saw ewes and young rams.  And I had to go two miles up the canyon to see them.  This time, the big boys were out.  And they were less than a mile and a half in, just past the first dam.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
This ram seemed to have himself a little harem.  But the ladies weren't all that responsive to his advances.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
So I told him the same joke I told the mule deer buck near the front of the canyon.  He liked it, too.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
My mom used to tell me I made a better door than a window when I stood in between her and the television.  I think this is what she meant.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
This young gal was quite relaxed while enjoying the first sunshine in a few days.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
Same joke, same reaction.  I'm apparently a funny guy. :)

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
I get a real "See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" vibe from these three.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
I wish I could say these two were just having a playful little jog through the snow, like a dad and his son tossing a ball in the front yard ...

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
... but they were actually part of the group chasing this poor gal.  At one point I think there were seven males all chasing this one female.  Yep, the rut is clearly in full swing.

Bighorn Sheep, Waterton Canyon
This fellow had a real look of menace to him when he crossed the river.  But I never did see any violence ensue between any of the boys.  A little bit of belly kicking, a little bit of head rubbing, but no actual sparring matches which I had hoped for.  But as I said, I certainly wasn't disappointed with what I did get to see.  Just a wonderful way to spend a few hours on a chilly Colorado morning.

No comments: